Happy Sunday everyone! In a couple of weeks Dan and I are heading to Edinburgh to see Postmodern Jukebox in concert and I’m so excited, I’ve been planning aspects of the trip for months now! If you’ve never heard of Postmodern Jukebox, it’s basically a collective of fabulous musicians spear-headed by the amazing Scott Bradlee, who take modern musical hits and give them a retro twist. Definitely worth checking out.
So naturally, since this trip is a retro extravaganza, I’ve been returning to my makeup roots and sharpening up my classic Pin Up girl makeup, which I thought I’d share with you today. The night of the show, I’m going to be doing a Rockabilly look, which includes this super simple Pin Up/50’s retro makeup.
I think the most important thing about Pin Up makeup is the base – your skin really needs to be as flawless as you can make it or the red lip will heighten all those bits you don’t want seen. I also don’t use much, if any, blush when I do a red lip since I don’t want my super translucent skin to look redder because of my lip colour.
My last tip for a perfect Pin Up base is matte, matte, matte – there were no highlighters back in the day, so for that truly authentic feel, ditch the shimmer. For a full list of products used, keep reading 🙂
- Maybelline Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser to prime
- Kat Von D Lock It Concealer in shade Light Neutral 01 to conceal
- L’Oreal Infallible 24H Foundation in shade Porcelain
- Kat Von D Lock It Setting Powder all over to bake and set
- Sleek MakeUP Face Form in shade Fair to contour very lightly
- NYX Brow Gel in Black
- Crown Smoke It Out Too Palette – matte white shade to set the eye area, and light tan shade to add dimension to the crease
- Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Gel Liner in black
- Pixi By Petra Black Lacquer Lash Primer
- L’Oreal Miss Hippie Mascara
- NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk on the inner water line
So that’s my super simple Pin Up makeup look that I’ll be wearing to see PMJ in concert soon. All I have to do now is decide on my Rockabilly hairstyle and wait for things to arrive in the post! I can’t wait to get away for a weekend and have some fun with a few friends, a few drinks, and explore a whole new city! I think this makeup look will be perfect for the Saturday night as well as it is pretty authentic for a classic Pin Up look. And you can never go wrong with a wing!